Feature on Dani Collins & The Wrong Heirs

This week's Spotlight is on author Dani Collins and her latest release, The Marriage He Must Keep.




Connect with Dani Collins on the web:



I came up with the idea for The Wrong Heirs, which is a baby swap duet, from first considering a Twins-Separated-At-Birth premise. I was really excited by the idea because I hadn’t seen it done much. I knew right away that the mothers should recognize the mistake immediately. After all, it's romance! We want those feel-goods, right? I also knew that in this day and age, it’s really hard to have a mistake like that happen. Hospitals are very diligent about these sorts of things. (Although, in my own experience, when my daughter was born just after midnight, the doctor showed me how he had written the date and time of her birth on my bracelet and I promptly said, “Doesn’t that mean we’re actually into the 17th now? Not the 16th? Doh!) So mistakes happen! 

In THE MARRIAGE HE MUST KEEP, I made the swap a deliberate act of sabotage, which allowed me to give Alessandro some difficult family back story and plenty to overcome as he tries to hold onto Octavia and son! Then, in the second book, THE CONSEQUENCE HE MUST CLAIM, Sorcha is an innocent victim of this same mischief. Wouldn’t you know that sorting out paternity forces her secret baby to be revealed—which is quite a surprise for Cesar because he has amnesia and doesn’t remember making love to her! The Wrong Heirs is a Jan/Feb release. I hope you enjoy them!
Buy on Amazon:



14 comments:

  1. Yeah, swapping babies would have to be deliberate. They're careful about that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I had to combine deliberate with taking advantage of chaos because of a bus crash and it being the middle of the night. Lots of pressure on the staff because I didn't want a bad light on the hospital staff. They were taken advantage of, not negligent. :)

      Delete
  2. I like that you made it a deliberate act as they do guard against such things from happening. Even someone planning to do it would find it hard to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrys, I totally agree. See what I said above about how I didn't want to cast any shadows on the actual staff. Also, it gets caught on video--exactly what you say - it would be super hard to get away with this.

      Delete
  3. Swapping babies? I haven't read that before, only heard about it in the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi!
      I know, it's actually one of those things you hear about coming to light years down the road, isn't it? Like it used to happen before all these fail-safes were in place. That's another reason I thought it would make a fun premise. It's a little bit of a different way to kick off a romance. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. When I was younger, there would occasionally be a story in the news about babies that had accidentally gotten switched in the hospital, but thank goodness, times have changed, and it's surely an extreme rarity these days. Unless, it's deliberate. Sounds like a great premise for a story, and it's a great idea to have the books released so close together. (I hate having to wait for sequels!) Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, YES! I was so pleased when Harlequin also wanted to release them back to back. I agree, it's horrible to wait for sequels. I actually bought the Downton final season rather than wait for it on PBS ;)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun premise! Looking forward to the books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like those unique premises. Feel-goods are great too.

    ReplyDelete

You can discuss your romance novel addiction too!