We invited author Alissa Callen and she's here with a giveaway for one commenter!
My rural novel Beneath Outback Skies is set in the red earth country of western NSW, Australia. My childhood was spent chasing sheep on the family farm and now, when not writing, I play traffic controller to four children, three dogs, two horses and one renegade cow who really does believe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. So it is only natural my stories are set in the rural and remote areas that I love. And luckily, the outback is a perfect setting for a romance novel …
1. The Aussie outback is spectacular – from ochre red dust to brilliant blue skies, to cream-trunked gum trees, to bleached grasses, the colour palette provided by rural Australia is both inspiring as well as breathtaking.
2. Just like in the American Old West, the outback fosters a special type of community spirit as people band together to survive no matter what Mother Nature might throw at them, whether it is fires, floods or droughts.
3. There are cowboys (and cowgirls). Need I say any moreJ
4. Stories set in the outback may also contain animals, whether they are horses, mischievous puppies or even in my current WIP a goat called Fudge who believes she is a dog.
5. The outback with its endless horizons, starlit night skies and sense of space is a place where past hurts can heal, new beginnings made and where dreams can come true.
Beneath Outback Skies
Book blurb: Paige Quinn will let nothing and no one distract her from caring for her wheelchair-bound father, Connor, and fighting for her remote, drought-stricken property, Banora Downs. Least of all a surprise farm-stay guest named Tait Cavanaugh, whose smooth words are as lethal as his movie-star smile. Except Paige can’t help noticing that, for a city-boy, Tait seems unexpectedly at home on the land. And he does ask a lot of questions…It doesn’t matter how much he helps out or how much laughter he brings into her life, she soon suspects he is harbouring a big secret – the real reason he has come to Banora Downs…
Book/buy link: http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books/alissa-callen/beneath-outback-skies-9780857980397.aspx
Giveaway: One kindle eBook copy of What Love Sounds Like, my shorter length outback story published by Escape Publishing.
Giveaway question: What is your favourite book setting?